Search This Blog

Wednesday 22 April 2020

Update April 22nd 2020

A holiday took up the first 3 weeks of the March, then had lots of other stuff to do so I decided to skip the normal end of month report for March and jump to April.

It's all about the electrics, I am much happier with spanners!!! Anyway I am making good steady progress and I have listed some of the work I have been doing. Its a good project when we are all locked up due to the Covid virus.

One thing I am doing is compiling a electrical reference book which will be essential on future maintenance.

Switches

The body shell had a preformed area suitable for mounting and hiding away some of the switches that are needed. In order to plan this I created a scale diagram of the switch positions and used this as a template to cut out the required holes.

I'm not using the hazard switch provided by Chesil, instead I'm using a matching rocker switch. I have made provision for a USB output as well as the two control for the heated seats.

The picture below shows the main switches in position, the one that is missing is the Hazard swicth, which is causing me lots of grief.


Dash

I have temporary fitted the 3 main gauges and led warning lights

The steering column has been fiited, it will need a final adustment

Indicator stalk switch

Original
The replacement parts that are available are really poor in terms of finish and as this is very visible in the car I decided to do some remedial work

After a couple of hours work
I stripped the paint, then hand polished using many grades of wet and dry right down to 7000 to get the polished mirror finish. It looks much better and wil now match other parts of the internal trim.

Electric first switch on!

My plan was to fit and test all the main electrics, before fitting the additional circuits (Oil cooler, Audio, USB, Heated seats). I got there on 10th April (other than the hazard switch). here is a video of what happened.


I then checked over all the circuits and created a list of things to fix, here is the first list


Anything in red wasn't working, boxes with no colour had not been tested.

Once I tracked down each circuit, most were just a simple fix, in fact one fix cured all the lighting and fog light circuits.

One thing to watch out for, and I have now seen this on other builders blogs are the bulbs supplied with the rear indicator lights, the wattage is too low and will not trigger the flasher circuit, thsi took me a while to track down, big thank you to Steve at Chesil who had seen the problem before.

As of 22nd April the list looks like this,






Still a problem with the hazard switch, I know its the switch as if I wire in the Chesil supplied switch all works ok, something to work on.

Video overview

I have done a walk round video to give you a look at where I am at, enjoy.


PS.......Exhaust has arrived, 


More later!







No comments:

Post a Comment