Search This Blog

Wednesday 3 February 2021

Update - Jan 30th 2021

The interior trim has now been completed and the car has been back in my workshop for a couple of weeks. I will post some final pictures in my February update.

I now have a list of jobs finishing jobs which include preparation for the IVA test, enough to keep me busy during this current Covid lockdown (Jan 2021)

Windscreen wiper arms

Location hole drilled
Here is a job I didn't expect! I popped into the garage to do a couple of easy jobs. Surely bolting on the windscreen wiper arms and blades would be a 5 minute job. After much head scratching it turned out that the arms provided needed modifications.

The first thing required was to drill out the location holes.  





Nearside arm reshaped
The arm on the nearside then needed a bit of reshaping, so out with the Dremel. 





Before
  Then both arms needed the lower bush chopping off..
After


Release 10mm nut &
 refit to desired position
I adjusted the park position of the wipers by undoing the centre bolt on the mechanism and adjusting to the desired position

I also reshaped the end of the wiper arm reversing the angle,

A 5 minute job it was not!!!







Persistent Oil Leak

Oil leaks on the external oil filter pipes and brackets have been a reoccurring problem. I have removed all the components then cleaned  and rebuilt using thread sealer on all joints. Fingers crossed!
 
Turned the engine over and blew the oil filter ring gasket!! :-(

Seemed like the obvious culprit was one or both of the oil pressure release valves. On inspection it seems that both valves are stuck forcing all the oil into the filter. The joys of badly made Chinese parts!! 

Once removed (I'm waiting for a special tool as they are stuck) the exterior of the valves will be checked over and where required hand finished the with fine wet and dry then oiled and refitted. So this job is my current "in progress"

**Update**
Fitted standard VW springs and valves, also fitted new Fram oil filter all seems well...at the moment!

Clutch Adjust

Adjusted the clutch so the movement at the pedal was about 1/2 inch

Brake Adjust

Adjusted the pedal to master cylinder to gibe me an earlier firm pedal.

Windscreen fitted and heated screen wired

The windscreen has been fitted and the wiring connected for the heated screen.

Fog Lights Latch switch

The wiring loom supplied by Chesil didn't take into account the IVA rules relating to the switching on and off of the fog lights. and as such needed some modification. 

The latest IVA revision states that the rear fog light must turn off AND STAY OFF when the headlamps are switched off. That is to say, if the headlamps are switched off then back on again whilst the fog light switch remains in the on position then the rear fog light must NOT turn back on unless the user specifically activates the rear fog light switch.

To allow for this it required “hacking into the previously wired lights and fog light circuitry and adding in a Fog Latch switch. I hate having to go back to redo a job :-(

If anyone wants my diagram on how to wire this let me know

Seat Location Plates

Set of floor plates pre paint
I decided to add additional strength to the floor area where the seas are bolted in. 


I used 4mm steel which I epoxy primed and coated with Raptor paint to match the rest of the floor






In Primer

Raptor Coated.


Plates fitted


Exhaust

Fitted the Sebring tail pipe insert from Vintage Speed
Fitted Sebring tail pipe insert

Next jobs

  • Test drive then IVA Prep

Build Hours










No comments:

Post a Comment